Stockholm i mitt hjärta” [Stockholm in my heart] is sung loudly in both rain and shine at the sing-along event at Skansen each summer! And it is very true. Stockholm offers a lot of heart and pulse! It has something for everyone; highbrow culture, nature, shopping, restaurants and so much more.
TO DO NEAR GÄRDET
For first-time visitors to Stockholm we recommend getting a local public transport card, SL card, which makes it easy to explore the city in an environmentally friendly way. Djurgården is within walking distance and has gems such as the Kaknäs Tower, Gröna Lund, Skansen, Liljevalchs, Junibacken, the Vasa Museum and Rosendals Garden. There are also fantastic areas for walking and running. There is a gym (SATS), café, restaurant, kiosk and supermarket nearby. On the field outside there is an outdoor gym and Kampementsbadet with an outdoor pool in the summer. Many festivities such as concerts and sporting events are arranged here.
We can guide you through our beautiful city, so please ask us for personal tips! Here are a few of our favourites:
Restaurants, pubs and cafés
- Sjätte Tunnan is a lovely medieval restaurant in the Old Town.
- Restaurang Tradition serves well-made traditional Swedish food.
- Melanders has a prawn buffet every Thursday from 16:00–19:30.
- Funkalistic Bar & Bistro is our local bistro that serves both lunch and dinner.
- Phils Burger Gärdet is a must for everyone who loves hamburgers.
- Trädgården offers a nightclub, bar or a nice place to hang out in the afternoon.
- Kafe Sjöstugan is a cosy café where you can eat organic and fairtrade food.
- Häståkeriet offers horse rides on Djurgården and morning rides on the streets of Stockholm.
- Parkteatern offers free theatre throughout the summer.
- Ugglan is an amusement arcade where you can challenge your friends to games of boules, ping-pong, air hockey, billiards and lots of boardgames.
On Södermalm you can bargain hunt in some of Stockholm’s best second hand shops:
- Stockholm Stadsmission – Skånegatan 75
- Södra Skattkammaren Antik & Kuriosa – Bondegatan 44
- Rackarungar, children’s clothes – Skånegatan 78
- Kupan Red Cross – Östgötagatan 67
- Myrorna – Götgatan 79
- Bjurholms Vintage – Bjurholmsplan 25
Fun activities for the family
There are many child-friendly activities in Stockholm. Explore the Tram Museum (Spårvagnsmuseet), go to Tom Tits Science Museum in Södertälje, or spend whole days at the island Djurgården, where you will find Gröna Lund amusement park, Skansen outdoor museum and zoo, Junibacken theme park, as well as the Abba Museum.
Places to go swimming
This sandy beach is located on Norra Djurgården near Lappkärrsberget. It is managed by the Royal Djurgården park.
Brunnsviksbadet is a public EU swimming site managed by the City of Stockholm in collaboration with Royal Djurgården Administration. The water quality is classified as excellent. There is a handrail down into the water.
Lake Flaten is one of Stockholm’s cleanest lakes. Flatenbadet has jetties in several locations and a diving tower. In summer there is a café and crazy golf in connection to the swimming area. There are great trails for walking through untouched nature around the lake.
Fredhällsbadet has rocks and jetties and is enclosed by a building and a fence. Inside the area there is a small lawn and wood decking. Stairs lead down to the water. In front of the entrance there is a very small car park for disabled access. There is a path along the beach and it can also be reached via a stair from Snoilskyvägen. While here you can also eat at the restaurant Solstugan.
Do not miss the opportunity to take a dip by the jetties on Hornsbergs strand, Kungsholmen. There are many restaurants and cafés nearby.
Are you more than 10 people planning a conference, family reunion, school trip or perhaps a training camp for the sports team? Complete the form and your request will be sent to your selected accommodation, which will get back to you with a quotation to suit your group!REQUEST QUOTATION