More about STF Viterskalet Mountain cabin
The first cabins in Viterskalet were already built in 1925, with the new STF Viterskalet constructed as late as 2001. The area is a paradise for ski mountaineers and telemark skiers. There are several peaks to conquer here and on Dalåijvies Peak, you can prove you bravery by signing the guest book. STF Viterskalet is the southernmost cabin on the King’s Trail that ends, or starts, in Hemavan.
This is how it works in a mountain cabin
In a mountain cabin you stay cozy and easy with self catering in multi-bedded rooms. On site you will be greeted by a cabin manager. As a guest you chop wood, fetch water from the stream or lake, wash up and clean up after youself. The rooms are different sizes with bunk beds and usually heated by gas stoves. All mountain cabins offer accommodation for guests with dogs. You can not pre-book a specific room or bed - the principle is that you are guranteed a place to sleep. You can pre-pay an unspecified place to sleep on STF's website. An unspecified bed means either a regular bed or a comfortable mattress on the floor. Quilts, pillows and blankets are given for both sleeping options. You need to bring your own bed linen or a sleeping bag. Many of our cabins have shops where you can resupply. Some of these stores also sell gas cylinders, T-fuel, mountain maps and mosquito repellent. Several of the cabins also have a wood-fired sauna.
Payment at mountain cabins
There are several ways for you to pay for your accommodation in the mountain cabins. Information on payment methods and prices can be found here: https://www.swedishtouristassociation.com/payment
To be able to welcome you and other guests safely during the summer, we have made a number of changes. These changes and conditions apply to you as a visitor at STF's mountain huts this summer. Thank you for your understanding and welcome to the mountains!
• Update yourself on the latest recommendations from the Public Health Authority.
• We introduce restrictions on the number of guests staying overnight based on the size of the mountain hut and only accept guests who have booked and paid their overnight stay on the current date and mountain hut.
• As far as possible, only guests from the same party are allowed to share rooms. Cabin hosts are responsible for placement.
• It is mandatory to bring your own bedding set including sheet, pillowcase, as well as a sleeping bag or duvet cover for existing quilts.
• There are restrictions on how many people can be in the kitchen, shops and common areas at one time.
• Every guest fetch his or her own drinking water in their own bucket.
• There are improved handwashing opportunities at the fireplace, in the kitchen and at the entrance to the cabin.
• Tent guests can only use the kitchen between 9 am and 5.30 pm.
• Bring your own water bottle, towel / washcloth, sheets including pillow cases, own hand sanitizer and preferably stay with the same people throughout the hike to reduce the number of contacts.
• It is of most importance that you follow the cabin manager’s and STF's instructions for how the cottage works and that you respect the specified times.